Menopause: The Golden Transition
Change is always challenging but menopause brings the opportunity to transition into a new phase of our lives with more balance, purpose and knowledge. According to Ayurveda, menopause is the bridge we all cross coming out of our Pitta (productive) stage and entering into the Vata (wisdom) stage of our lives. Therefore, the Ayurvedic approach to menopause does not rely on starting a hormone-replacement therapy. Rather, it is an opportunity to learn more about ourselves and create harmony in every cell and atom of our being.
Ayurveda is all about balance and it focuses on addressing the root cause of any imbalance. Depending on the dosha (mind-body constitution), a woman undergoing menopause can experience any of the following symptoms:
- Vata imbalance: anxiety, insomnia, depression or vaginal dryness.
- Pitta imbalance: irritability, short temper, hot flashes and night sweats.
- Kapha imbalance: tiredness, heavy, sluggish, and water retention.
While an individual assessment is required to determine a personal program, anyone can follow this guideline:
- Honor the natural rhythms and listen to the signals of the body.
- Particularly rest is very important. Go to bed no later than 11pm and wake up at sunrise.
- Make some time every day to consciously connect with nature.
- Maintain a diet rich in phytoestrogens: legumes, fruits, vegetables and soy-derived protein.
- Make sure you have adequate calcium intake.
- Treat yourself with a daily oil massage. Spend extra time massaging your breasts and abdomen.
- Exercise daily. Yoga can help you improve strength and flexibility. Complement it with a brisk walk.
- Drink aloe vera juice frequently.
- Evaluate some herbal supplements. Ayurveda recommends an herb called Shatavari for its cooling and soothing properties.
- Most important of all… cultivate loving relationships. Nurture those relationships where you are treated with honor and respect.
Whether you are starting this transition or you are already undergoing menopause, I encourage you to make an appointment for a personal consultation and start making of this time your Golden Age.